Saturday 4 October 2008

Value for Money

A few weeks ago I arranged to have a free hearing test with an audiologist who is permanently based in the large pharmacy of a national chain. The test was most impressive and took well over half an hour. At the end of it I was presented with an impressive array of frequency charts and advised that I was definitely in need of a hearing aid. When I enquired about the cost I was advised that the aids supplied ranged in price from about 1,000 pounds to 6,000 pounds. (about 1700$ US to 10,000$ US). I thanked the tester for his time and advised him that at those prices I would just have to concentrate a little harder when the TV was on at low volume or I was in general conversation with others!

A few days later I spotted an advertisement in a magazine that is posted to me quarterly. The full page advertisement marketed aids at seventeen pounds and ninety five pence (about 35$ US - I do not have a pound sign on this laptop computer!). The aid supplied came together with spare batteries, other spares, instructions for use and a cleaning brush. As I knew that this particular magazine would not accept phoney advertisements I decided to give one a try. In actual fact I ordered two as there was a substantial discount for buying a pair!


One arrived in the post this morning, just four days after ordering, with a note saying that the second would arrive separately without extra cost to me for postage. I was very impressed with the contents of the package and even more impressed when, after following the instructions carefully, I inserted the device to give it a try. I was amazed at how well the aid performed and I could turn the TV volume down extremely low and still comfortably hear the broadcasts.

I guess the really expensive ones would have been impressive too but on my limited funds would not have given me the same delight as this purchase did.

No comments: